One of the biggest fashion influences of our time is no longer the exclusive province of high-end designers and big name fashion magazines – it is now coming from one of the most unexpected sources of all: social media. These days, anyone with a smartphone and a savvy eye for style has the potential to be an influencer, with their clothing choices and personal style becoming highly-coveted trends across platforms like Instagram and YouTube. In this article, we’ll explore the ways in which social media is transforming fashion culture, and how innovative and inspiring digital fashion statements can even rival what’s appearing on the runway.
1. The Elevation of Social Media in Fashion
Social media platforms have revolutionized the fashion industry like few things have done in the recent past. Networking sites like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook have completely changed how fashion designers, brands, and photographers engage with their clients and the public.
- Brands use social media sites to display their new lines of clothing, runway shows, and accessories effectively.
- By partnering with influencers, brands can easily reach millions of people and create buzz about their new products.
- Stores, bloggers, and designer accounts have created social media presence to draw in more customers and let them know about their products and collections.
With the help of these user-generated platforms, fashion brands have become more engaged and visible to users and fans. Many large fashion labels use influencers to feature clothing on social media. Brands are now recognizing the power of influencers in their marketing campaigns. It is much more profitable than traditional methods of promotion and it helps bring in customers and sales. Plus, it’s a great way to spread awareness and increase brand recognition.
Fashion photographers also recently became a large part of the fashion world, thanks to social media. They are now able to connect with potential clients and share their work with potential customers. However, it is not just fashion photographers that have benefited from social media. Fashion bloggers, models, and designers have all been able to capitalize on this trend too. And, thanks to the various tools available on networking sites like Instagram, they can customize their visual content to define their brand.
2. Exploring Impactful Trends on Instagram
The power landscape of social media is ever-evolving and it is important to keep up with the trend to get maximum payoff for your content. Instagram, with its ever-growing userbase and reach, has been a game-changer for both personal and corporate marketing. Here are the top three impactful trends to look out for in 2021.
1. User-Generated Content:
- Now more than ever, customers want to connect with brands in a way that feels genuine and authentic.
- User-generated content (UGC) is effective in making your followers feel represented and connected to your brand.
- This type of content also shows potential customers what real customers have to say about the brand, which is invaluable for building trust and credibility.
2. Video Content:
- As a versatile medium, video content enables users to take an immersive and interactive look at products or services.
- This type of content is especially effective when used to showcase tutorials, reviews or behind-the-scenes content.
- Posting short videos on Instagram Stories is also an effective way to engage followers with captivating visuals and clear messaging.
- Hashtags have always been a powerful tool when it comes to gaining visibility on Instagram.
- They help to build brand awareness and provide an effective way to reach out to new followers.
- It is important to find relevant and trending hashtags which will help to generate maximum engagement with the right audience.
Keeping up with these impactful trends on Instagram is sure to help you reach and engage with the right audience in 2021. With a little bit of strategic planning and creativity, you can ensure that your content stands out and drives interactions.
3. From Street to Catwalk: Reacting to Real-Time Trends
In a world ruled by dynamic tastes and ever-shifting opinions, fashion brands and retailers must be exceptionally responsive to customers’ thoughts and reactions. Real-time trends can have a huge impact on how, when, and where products are purchased.
The intersection of streetwear and catwalk fashion has produced some remarkable results. As streetwear becomes more popular on the catwalk, everyday looks have become more influenced by what’s on the runway.
Within the fashion industry, it is now commonplace for designers to take cues from what’s on the street. Creative directors are on the lookout for emerging trends in streetwear, as these often determine the most popular offerings of the season.
Similarly, retailers are wise to the fluctuations in their customer base’s tastes. If something takes off on the internet, they can quickly capitalize on the trend before it’s gone. With the right product in place, retailers can gain a competitive edge and draw in new customers.
What we know is this: it pays to be swift in responding to what’s happening on the street and the catwalk. Designers and retailers who remain informed on current fashion trends can capture the public’s attention and quickly turn a novel concept into a runaway success.
4. Crafting Your Own Unique Style Through Social Media
Stronger Brand Identity Through Personal Style
Social media can be a great tool to help craft your own unique style, and a strong brand identity. A powerful, consistent style can help you stand out from the crowd, and make you more memorable to your audience.
- Start by finding your distinct style: what makes you special? Put thought into what elements you want to include in your posts, and think carefully about how elements like colors, fonts, or images, fit together.
- Leverage user-generated content: if you’re a product brand, use user photos to show off the real world impact of your products. Or if you’re a service provider, use customer reviews to build trust.
- Set up consistent post schedules: it is often difficult to keep up with a consistent posting schedule, but this makes it easier for your followers to see what to expect from you, and makes your account more recognizable.
Your style is not something to be taken lightly, as it can hugely affect how your audience perceives your brand. It is important to be confident in your style, and make sure that your posts are doing the job they should be doing – telling your story and increasing your reputation. Adopt the right creative elements and develop a distinct style that will make you unforgettable.
Mix It Up With New Ideas
Your style should also be able to evolve over time. There is nothing wrong with change, as it can help keep your brand fresh and relevant. The most successful brands will continuously stay ahead of the curve. Consider launching seasonal campaigns, or testing out something new with a hashtag, like Instagram stories or polls.
Also, don’t be afraid to use forms of media other than your usual ones. Try integrating podcasts, photobooks, or videos into your brand identity. You never know what will speak to your audience, so by experimenting with different media, you can uncover new ways to reach out to your followers.
At the end of the day, your social media presence is about creating a unique style that will set you apart and draw people in. Use inspiration from others, but make sure to craft something that is your own. You know your audience better than anyone, so use this to decide which visual elements will help you stand out.
The influence of fashion trends from social media is undeniable. Not only has it changed how consumers view fashion, but it has given people greater access to clothing that speaks to them. No matter where fashion trends originate, there is one thing for certain — the power of the people to create fashionable styles that carry clout and longevity.